Nepal started international cricket in 1996, so , its been 22 years of international cricket journey. Year 2018 is historical day for Nepali cricket as Nepal gets the One Day International Status. Nepal have become an ODI nation for the first time after beating PNG by 6 wicker and Netherland beating Hong Kong on Thursday 15 of March.
Skipper Paras Khadka was quick to celebrate the historic achievement. “Thank you everyone for the support… Just been years and years of toil, persistence, sacrifices, commitment and hard work. Finally WE BECOME An ODI nation,” Khadka wrote on his social network accounts. “Congratulations to everyone who has been part of Nepal cricket’s incredible journey!”
Thank you everyone for the support..Just been years and years of toil,persisitance,sacrifices,commitment and hardwork..Finally WE BECOME An ODI nation..
Congratulations to everyone who has been part of Nepal cricket’s incredible journey ..
— Paras Khadka (@paras77) March 15, 2018
Nepal have tried for the ODI status back in 2014 with WCQ from the division 5 but could not do better, instead Nepal demoted to division 3 because of poor performance in New Zealand. How ever Nepal played T-20 World Cup in Bangladesh.
Why ODI Status Matters So Much To Nepal ?
Nepal was only associate team. But with the title of ODI status, Nepal will get international exposure and help from the International Cricket Council. Some of the benefits Nepal have will be-
- Nepal will be ranked in One Day International (ODI) Cricket.
- Nepal gets chance to play some big games like Inter-continental Cup, Asia cup, World Cricket League along with ODI and List A nations and four-day tournament between non-Test playing nations.
- Nepal will get Rs. 70-80 million from ICC for the development of cricket development programs, players exposure, trainings etc.
- Nepal will be playing with test nations in Asia Cup.
- Nepal will retain the ODI and the Twenty20 International status for the next four years.
The ODI status for Nepal comes at a time when the country lacks top class infrastructure and proper domestic cricket structure. But the bigger worry is the country is still under suspension imposed by the International Cricket Council.In the absence of a proper decision-making body, the ODI status might make no sense. So in order to increase the funding from ICC and grow in cricket, Nepal must take it seriously. We need exploit this opportunity.
World Cricket Congratulates Nepal !
Jay Nepal ! Jay Cricket !