Bhaktapur is the city of devotees. The beautiful district in Kathmandu valley has a lot of things to offer to tourists either it is beautiful scenery, historical landmarks, or delicious delicacies. In this article, we have included the places to visit in Bhaktapur and things to do in Bhaktapur.
1.Bhaktapur Durbar Square
Bhaktapur Durbar Square is UNESCO listed world heritage site. The historical square was once home to the King of Bhaktapur and is a living museum in itself. The complex is surrounded by historical monuments and temples with beautifully built-in Malla architecture. The main attraction of Bhaktapur Durbar Square is the 55 windows palace and golden gate. The 55 windows palace is regarded as one of the world’s finest woodcarving. The golden gate is made with pure gold and has carvings of different gods. Inside the golden gate, you can visit the Taleju Temple which is strictly guarded by the armies.
THINGS TO DO IN BHAKTAPUR DURBAR SQUARE
- You can capture some photos with the beautiful monuments.
- Just relax in the pati and spend some quality time chitchatting with your friends.
- Don’t forget to try Bhaktapur’s famous Juju dhau (Yogurt), Kulfi, Tornado potato, and some local paus.
- Buy some souvenirs, the famous Bhadgaunle topi, pashmina shawl, wooden carvings, woolen products, and beautiful paintings
- Try some Newari cuisine in local Newari restaurants.
- Visit the National art museum to know more about the history of Bhaktapur.
2. Taumadhi Square
Five minutes’ walk from the Bhaktapur Durbar Square would take you to Taumadhi Square. The major attraction of the square is the Nyatapola temple. Nyatapola or Panch Tale Mandir is a five-storey temple. It is the tallest temple in Nepal. The temple was built in 1702 dedicated to Goddess Sidhhi Lakshmi. The temple is closed to the public and only the temple priest can enter the temple as the goddess Siddhi Lakshmi is believed to be extremely fearsome. The visitors can visit the periphery of the temple. The temple is known for its earthquake resistance as it has survived two major earthquakes with minor damages.
THINGS TO DO IN TAUMADHI SQUARE
- Take photos with the beautiful temple.
- Explore the Bhaktapur town from the tallest temple of Nepal.
- Have some coffee and lunch in the cafe with Nyatapola as the background view.
Dattatreya square is the third square in Bhaktapur. The main attraction of the square is the Dattatreya Temple and Peacock window. Dattatreya Temple is the beautifully carved temple dedicated to Dattatreya, a trinity of Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva. The temple is guarded by two wrester statues and the temple is carved with beautiful wood carvings. The temple is believed to be made from a single tree.
THINGS TO DO IN DATTATREYA SQUARE
- Look closely at the carvings of the temple and the famous peacock window.
- Click some amazing photos.
- Buy some souvenirs and hop on to the cafe to have some coffee or lunch.
- Feed some grains to pigeons.
- Visit the museum.
4. Pottery Square
Pottery square is famous for showcasing the traditional way of pottery. Visiting pottery square will take you back in time where you can witness the old way of making pottery.
THINGS TO DO IN POTTERY SQUARE
- Watch the pottery being made in the traditional way
- You can also try making pottery but you might need to pay a certain fee.
- Buy some pottery souvenirs
- Capture some amazing photos
5. Changu Narayan Temple
Changu Narayan Temple is UNESCO listed world heritage site located in Changu, Bhaktapur. It is the oldest temple in Nepal. There is the oldest stone inscription pillar found in Nepal which is erected by King Mandev. The Changu Narayan Temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu. There are several temples in the periphery.
THINGS TO DO IN CHANGU NARAYAN TEMPLE
- Snap some historical moments with these historical monuments.
- Visit the Changu village.
- Buy some souvenirs and hop on to local restaurants to have some local foods.
- Have a beautiful view of Bhaktapur from the hilltop
Nagarkot is a beautiful hill station. You can plan to have a night’s stay in Nagarkot to enjoy the beautiful sunrise and panoramic view of beautiful mountains.
THINGS TO DO IN NAGARKOT
- Plan a night stay in Nagarkot and enjoy the night with the barbeque.
- Wake up to a beautiful panoramic view of the Himalayas.
- Go to Nagarkot tower or the viewpoint for the beautiful sunrise and sunset.
7. Siddha Pokhari
Siddha Pokhari is a famous pond in Bhaktapur. The pond is also called Indra Daha or Ta: pukhu by the locals. It is the biggest pond in the Bhaktapur. The pond is lighted with lamps on the day of Indra Jatra. The peace and serenity of the pond make it a popular place to hang out.
THINGS TO DO IN SIDDHA POKHARI
- Spend some quality time in a peaceful environment.
- Feed foods to the fishes.
- Capture some cool photos.
- Boat around the pond.
8. Pilot Baba Ashram
Pilot Baba is the ashram at the top of the hill. The ashram was made by the former pilot who quit his job after seeing the effects of war and human conflict to find peace. The place is a popular hiking destination but it can be reached through the road as well. The place is located at Ghyampe Dada and is famous for the amazing view of the Kathmandu valley. The adjacent hill includes Ranikot from where the magnificent view of the Kathmandu valley can be seen.
THINGS TO DO AT PILOT BABA
- Enjoy the peace and serenity.
- Bless your eyes with the mesmerizing view of Kathmandu Valley.
- Capture some beautiful photos of you and the scenery.
- Have a dry picnic to relax and have some quality time.
Dhagpo Sheydrub Ling Monastery also known as Nala Gumba is located in Nala Road, Bhaktapur. It is a beautiful Tibetan monastery with beautiful carvings and Tibetan architecture and a beautiful view of the Kathmandu Valley. It is open to the public every Saturday from 10 am -4 pm.
THINGS TO DO AT NALA GUMBA
- Capture beautiful photos. Taking photos inside the gumba is strictly prohibited but you can capture photos around the periphery.
- Enjoy the beautiful view of Kathmandu valley.
- Chill out in peace and a serene environment.
- Pray to Lord Buddha.
10. Sanga Mahadev
Sanga Mahadev or Kailashnath Mahadev Statue is the tallest statue of Nepal built with a height of 143 ft. It is the second tallest Hindu deity statue in the world after the Garuda statue in Bali, Indonesia. It is situated in Sanga, Suryabinayak municipality on the border of the Bhaktapur and Kavrepalanchwok districts in Nepal.
THINGS TO DO IN SANGA MAHADEV
- Capture beautiful photos.
- View of the Kathmandu valley and beautiful panoramic mountain view.
- Visit the pau factory in Sangha and buy some at a cheap price.
11. Kathmandu Fun Valley Park
Kathmandu Fun Valley Park is a water-based theme park in Sangha, Bhaktapur. It is a popular recreational park with numerous fun activities to do. There are different activities to do in the park such as water slides, breakdance, Columbus, kids helicopter, dragon coast, etc. It is the perfect place to beat the summer heat and is one of the popular amusement parks in Nepal. The ticket price for the park ranges from 600 per adult to 400 per children less than 3 ft and other packages.
THINGS TO DO IN THE PARK
- Swimming and water slides
- Enjoy several rides such as breakdance, Columbus, dragon coast, etc.
- Capture photos at photos booth.
Thimi was once the fourth largest town in the Kathmandu Valley and has historical significance. It served as a bulwark for Bhaktapur during the time three kingdoms: Bhaktapur, Patan, and Kathmandu used to have battles. Legend says that because the people of Thimi successfully defended Bhaktapur, the kings of Bhaktapur called them “CHHEMI” meaning “Capable people” praising them for their loyal constant support. Gradually the name of the settlement became Thimi. Today, It is a live museum of the newar civilization as the town paved with brick are lined with medieval temples. It is an old historical town full of newar architecture and wooden carvings and strings of mask shops.
THINGS TO DO IN THIMI
- Walk around the old town of Thimi
- Visit the statue of Shankhadhar Sakhwa who established Bikram Sambat by paying off all the debts of Nepalese people.
- Capture photos.