Kansas based Nepalese rockstar Dibesh Pokharel aka Arthur Gunn gave his outstanding performance in the American Idol season 18. He impressed the judges (Katy Perry, Lionel Richie, and Luke Bryan) with his gritty rockstar voice.
When he introduced himself saying “Namaste! My name is Dibesh Pokharel and I go by the name Arthur Gunn”. Kety Perry immediately asked his original name.
He replied “Dibesh”.
Katy Perry punned on his name, saying that he is the “De Best”.
In the intro video, he explained the beauty of Nepal.
Then he chose to sing Bob Dylan’s ‘Girl From The North Country’. Watch out the video here –
After the first song, Richie urged “Just give me another song, just to get a little more of an idea of what you do”. Perry also added that she’d like to see him give more eye contact, or look down at his guitar as much.
He then sang another rock classic, ‘Have You Ever Seen The Rain’ by Creedence Clearwater Revival.
The judges watched, again, wide-eyed and mostly silent, with Richie and Bryan eventually high-fiving each other and Richie marveling an audible “Oh my gosh.”
Bryan pulled no punches: “You want to open for me in Detroit, Michigan, in two weeks?” he offered. “We’re just trying to set you up for global overtaking. What a unique artist you are,” he raved.
“You are the story that we need to tell,” marveled Richie. “I don’t think we even need a vote. You are going to Hollywood!”
At last, Lionel Richie came over to embrace him after his two songs. With that strong performance, he earned the golden ticket to Hollywood.
Among the numerous auditions from talented vocalists, Dibesh Pokharel has been selected in the top 20 contestants.
Facts About Dibesh Pokharel
- Dibesh Pokharel (21) was born and brought up in Kathmandu Nepal. He is currently living in Wichita, Kansas, USA with his family.
- His stage name is Arthur Gunn, but there is no particular reason behind choosing this name. He thought about using a stage name while working on his debut album “Grahan,” an eight-song collection that dropped in the summer of 2018. He notes that the first three letters spell art, adding: “I am fascinated with art in every form and outcomes it can create.”
- His passion for music was from his very early age. Initially, he performed in coffee houses and pubs but more often he’d sing for gatherings of friends. Eventually, he recorded some of his music.
- Dibesh’s popular songs (as of 2020) are “Ma,” “Khoj” and “Karnali (The River).”
- Although no one from his family belongs to a music background, he was fortunate enough to grow up around music and be exposed to it at an early age.
- John Martyn, Nick Drake, Bob Dylan, Bukka White, Robert Johnson, Howlin’ Wolf, Sonny Boy Williamson, John Lee Hooker are his inspirations.
- Dibesh Pokharel’s most popular song to date in terms of Spotify streams is “Nyano Ghar” from the “Grahan” album with about 6,000 streams.
- He is the “top 20” contestants in Americal Idol Season 18 which was broadcasted from the ABC channel.
Meet Him on Social
Nepali Trends, the pioneer of the blog site that operates under the philosophy of keeping its readers informed. NepaliTrends.com tells the trending story of Nepal and it offers fresh, compelling content that’s useful and informative for its readers. We strive to be very accurate by leaving no stone unturned as we dig into the heart of every story.